Chris Froome's withdrawal from Tirreno-Adriatico shows 'lack of respect', says organiser
Tirreno-Adriatico organiser RCS Sport is upset after Chris Froome's last-minute withdrawal due to a chest infection

Chris Froome in action during Stage 3 of the 2015 Tour of Andalucia Ruta Del Sol

Chris Froome's last-minute decision yesterday to skip Tirreno-Adriatico for a second consecutive year has angered race organiser RCS Sport, who said that Team Sky is showing a lack of respect.
"I wrote to Sky's team manager, David Brailsford," RCS Sport Cycling Director Mauro Vegni told La Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.
"I didn't like that I had to find out the news about Froome's withdrawal via various websites. At least they could've bothered to called me.
"In these years, we have certainly shown Sky more respect than what they have shown us. Unfortunately, our relationship is not as good as I thought it was."
Sky explained that it has a process when evaluating riders for a race: the cyclist is in contact with the doctor, if the cyclist is unable to race then the team issues a statement and afterwards, the organiser is informed. The team added that it waited until the last minute not to upset the organiser, but for the hope that it could field Froome.
Froome announced via his Twitter account and then Sky's website that he would have to miss the prestigious Italian stage race due to a chest infection.
"This is obviously frustrating after the good start that I've had to the season, but it's a minor setback," Froome said. "I've been ill for a few days now and unfortunately, I couldn't shake it off in time for the race."
Get The Leadout Newsletter
The latest race content, interviews, features, reviews and expert buying guides, direct to your inbox!
Chris Froome out of Tirreno-Adriatico with illness
Chris Froome forced to withdraw his name from Tirreno-Adriatico start list due to chest infection
Froome placed second in the 2013 Tirreno-Adriatico to Vincenzo Nibali (Astana). He briefly toyed with the idea of racing RCS Sport's Giro d'Italia this year, which includes a 60-kilometre time trial, but gave his full attention to trying for a second Tour de France title.
Froome made his 2015 debut last month with the overall win in Spain's Ruta del Sol stage race ahead of Alberto Contador (Tinkoff-Saxo). His health is good enough to allow him to already plan ahead. He said that the Volta a Catalunya, March 23 to 29, will be his second and next race of 2015.
Calling off Tirreno-Adriatico, however, means Froome could likely pass the year without racing in Italy and in one of RCS Sport's races.
Froome already axed two other RCS Sport races from his calendar in the final hours. In 2013, he skipped the Giro di Lombardia and in 2014, the Tirreno-Adriatico stage race – both due to back problems. Last year at the last moment, he also pulled the plug on Liège-Bastogne-Liège – run by Tour de France organiser ASO – due to a chest cold.
>>> Tirreno-Adriatico 2015 preview
The Tirreno-Adriatico incident yesterday is not the first time that Sky has upset a race organiser. Last year, the team pulled Richie Porte from the Paris-Nice line up to replace an absentee Froome in Tirreno-Adriatico. It may have pleased RCS Sport, but Paris-Nice organiser ASO was left frowning. ASO's Christian Prudhomme said, "We find it cavalier to have the reigning champion [Porte] pull out just before the start."
Thank you for reading 20 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
Gregor Brown is an experienced cycling journalist, based in Florence, Italy. He has covered races all over the world for over a decade - following the Giro, Tour de France, and every major race since 2006. His love of cycling began with freestyle and BMX, before the 1998 Tour de France led him to a deep appreciation of the road racing season.
-
Mathieu van der Poel's history charge, the crucial Oude Kwaremont, and Lotte Kopecky time: Everything you need to know about the Tour of Flanders
The Tour of Flanders finally comes on Sunday, here's how to watch, who to watch, and what to watch out for
By Adam Becket Published
-
Elisa Longo Borghini emerges as Flanders favourite with Dwars door Vlaanderen victory
The Italian rider soloed to her 50th career win ahead of an elite pack of chasers
By James Shrubsall Published
-
'An unprecedented opportunity for brands to be part of the evolution' - Ineos Grenadiers sponsor hunt steps up with sales agency partnership
Sportfive have been employed to find "non-endemic global partners for the team"
By Adam Becket Published
-
'We've all got a little bit extra in us this year' - Ineos Grenadiers recapture 'fighting spirit' with aggressive Paris-Nice display
British team continue to put tumultuous 2024 behind them with momentum and a new found mentality
By Tom Thewlis Published
-
'My biggest victory' - Juan Ayuso seals Tirreno-Adriatico overall, as Jonathan Milan sprints to victory on stage 7
Spaniard looks ahead to Giro d'Italia after claiming second GC victory of his career
By Tom Davidson Published
-
Could a TotalEnergies deal be the end of Ineos Grenadiers as we know them?
Reports suggested this week that Ineos could be close to signing a deal with the French petrochemical firm
By Tom Thewlis Published
-
'They’re racing with their hearts again' - Robbie McEwen on Ineos Grenadiers' bright start to 2025
The British squad have already won four times in 2025
By Tom Thewlis Published
-
Ineos Grenadiers are entertaining so far this year, but how long will it last?
The British WorldTour squad have won four times already in 2025, but more than that, they have been fun. Is this the new dawn?
By Adam Becket Published
-
Caleb Ewan says he was put in a 'bad situation' by Jayco AlUla before he joined Ineos Grenadiers
Ewan joined Ineos Grenadiers in January after spending just one year with Jayco AlUla
By Tom Thewlis Published
-
'There's no bull****, that's what I've always liked' - Geraint Thomas's first BC coach Rod Ellingworth on the retiring Welshman
The 2018 Tour de France winner will step away from professional cycling at the end of the season
By Tom Thewlis Published